Candidate Achievement Record
Note: Alignment of the Candidate Achievement Record with the new Key Leadership Competencies
Starting November 16, 2015, the Candidate Achievement Record (CAR) can be used for assessments at the ADM, DG and Director levels that will lead to appointments occurring after . This will coincide with the implementation of the new EX Group qualification standards. The CAR can be used to assess any or all of the new competencies like Promote Innovation and Guide Change that may not be assessed in other PSC executive selection tools such as SELEX. The newly tailored CAR also assesses other competencies such as Create Vision and Strategy, Mobilize People, Uphold Integrity and Respect, Collaborate with Partners and Stakeholders and Achieve Results.
What is it?
- A tool which assesses key leadership competencies through self-reported examples of past performance and work-related achievements.
- A template that candidates use to describe situations in which they have demonstrated behaviours associated with various competencies.
How does the CAR work?
- We provide candidates with a template that includes the definition of each competency being assessed as well as the behavioural indicators underlying each competency.
- We ask candidates to fill out the questionnaire by describing in a structured manner past achievements which best illustrate how they have demonstrated specific competencies in the context of their work.
- Candidates must provide the name of a person who can validate each achievement described.
How is the CAR scored?
- Two assessors who possess vast experience as executives within the public service individually score the CAR.
- They integrate the results during a session led by a PPC psychologist.
- We validate at least one competency per CAR by contacting the referees.
- We provide a report explaining each candidate's results.
Factors we consider when scoring the CAR
- Does the example reflect all of the behavioural indicators underlying the competency?
- What is the breadth and depth of the demonstration of each behavioural indicator?
- Does the example describe behaviours that reflect the general level of competence required at the level being assessed (e.g. EX-1 level)?
What are the advantages of using the CAR in a selection process?
- An impartial, fair and reliable evaluation done by experts from the Personnel Psychology Centre.
- The possibility of creating a personalized tool by selecting the competencies and behavioural indicators to be assessed based on client needs.
- Depending on the number of CAR to be scored, a period of approximately two weeks is required to get the results (i.e. time for individual scoring by contractual assessors and integration session) and to receive the report.
For more information:
Please contact the Personnel Psychology Centre 819-420-8777 or by email.
- Date modified: