ARCHIVED - 2013-2014 Reporting Package for the Staffing Management Accountability Framework (SMAF) (14-04)
This page has been archived.
Further to the email that was recently sent to by the President of the Public Service Commission (PSC) to your Deputy Head, I am writing to inform you of your reporting requirements for 2013-2014.
You will find the following documents attached to this message:
- the 2013-2014 reporting template;
- the SMAF guidelines for completing the template; and,
- your organization’s statistical package (starting in 2013-2014, quintiles will no longer be used).
For 2013-2014, organizations will be asked to report on six areas, the same five key risk areas they reported on in 2012-2013 as well as one additional area. Specifically, these areas will be:
- Staffing Decisions (Indicator #4-added for 2013-2014)
- Priority Entitlements (Indicator #7)
- Official Languages Qualifications in Staffing (Indicator #8)
- Investigations into Staffing (Indicator #9)
- Ongoing Improvement (action taken in response to PSC feedback- including reporting on progress made against the action plan put in place to respond to PSC audit recommendations, where applicable (Indicator # 11)
- Raising Employee Awareness of Legal Rights and Responsibilities Regarding Political Activities (Indicator #12)
To ensure reports under the new SMAF are mutually beneficial and are streamlined, organizations are asked to provide supporting documentation that demonstrates how established expectations are being met. When evidence cannot be provided, or an organization has not met all of the expectations related to an indicator, a short narrative can be provided. Using this new approach, your report should be around 10 pages (or less).
The deadline for submission of the 2013-2014 reports is April 17, 2014. As in past years, you are asked to include a signed management representation statement that attests to the accuracy of the report. This statement forms the first page of the attached reporting template.
Your statistical package is intended to support your ongoing monitoring and contains the following data:
- Departmental Statistical Summary (appointment data obtained from central sources)
- Departmental Supplementary Tables for the Management of Priority Entitlements (data obtained from the Priority Information Management System)
The Departmental Statistical Summary provides information you may find useful in determining potential staffing risks within your organization and supports the analysis of results related to SMAF indicator 5 - Key Staffing Risks.
The Departmental Supplementary Tables for the Management of Priority Entitlements provide statistics that may assist you with the monitoring requirements associated with indicator 7 – Priority Entitlements. Additionally, this information will contribute to the monitoring of areas of concern identified through previous SMAF assessments and outlined in indicator 11 – Ongoing Improvement.
Survey of Staffing (SOS) information, including organizational results, can be found on the SOS website. Results are provided for small, medium and large organizations and are relevant to SMAF indicator 10 – Results of Survey Data and indicator 12 – Raising Employee Awareness of Legal Rights and Responsibilities Regarding Political Activities.
Finally, the PSC website will soon include an update of the Statistical Methodologies: Information on Statistical Formulas, with Inclusions, Exclusions and Data Sources. This document provides detailed information on what items are included or excluded in the calculation of the statistics as well as the data source, specific notes and related SMAF criteria.
The PSC is committed to supporting you and your organization to implement the new SMAF. The senior analyst assigned to support your organization will follow up with you in the near future to discuss your statistics package; however, they remain available to respond to any questions or concerns you may have related to the SMAF at any time throughout the year. I encourage you to take advantage of this support.
We appreciate your continued commitment to ensuring the integrity of the staffing system and non-partisanship in the public service.
Acting Senior Vice President
- Date modified: